Microsoft Store

10 Indispensable Web Sites

Posted by billspaced | 6:55 AM | | 0 comments »

Every day, I scour the Internet, looking for helpful sites about computers and technology (and, of course, "other" stuff). Here, I list the 10 Indispensable Web Sites; these sites provide quality information that is topical, useful, and very detailed. These are my "go-to" web sites on a daily basis.

  1. MakeUseOf.com
  2. Lifehacker.com
  3. TechRepublic.com
  4. Woot.com
  5. Gmail
  6. Google Reader 
  7. Kim Komando 
  8. Blogger.com
  9. Twitter.com
  10. MyBlogLog.com
Granted, some of these are not computer- or technology-related. But here's why they're valuable.

1. I've found a plethora of really cool applications, web sites, and other goodies on MakeUseOf.com. I simply LOVE this site. Every day, there's at least one post worth reading. For example, here's a great post -- Break the Speed Limits to Your Internet -- that shows you how to speed up your internet connection. Here's another -- Revo Uninstaller Will Hunt Down Your Bloatware, where we're shown the best piece on uninstallation software I've ever seen. And it's FREE!.

I suggest you at least pay the site a visit. You won't be disappointed!

2. I've been reading the pages of  Lifehacker.com for years now. It offers personal productivity tips (called life hacks) that are technology-centric (most of the time). I've found a lot of useful stuff here.

Here's an example of a recent post: Five Best File Syncing Tools where they go on to get readers' opinions on the best file synchronization utilities. They also offer some great insight into bargains, career advice, and web tools.

3.  TechRepublic.com is one of the best sources of how-to on the 'net. Centered around the IT professional, there's lots here to learn about Windows XP, networking, and filesystems. I could spend a month here and still yearn for more.

4. Woot.com is a fun site. I especially like their wacky stories behind the products. There are some truly talented fiction writers on the Woot.com payroll! Plus, they offer some really cool tech gadgets. I've purchased way too much from them over the past few years. I became a little addicted to the site and had to join a 12-step program to extricate myself from their death grip.

Watch for their "Bag o' Crap" days, too, and their "Woot Offs." Both good fun.

5.  What's not to like about Gmail? Simply the best email ever. Very flexible, full-featured, and web-based, so you can get your mail anywhere you can connect.

6. Google Reader has become my number one and only choice for reading RSS feeds from my favorite people and sites. Take a look here at my shared items

7. I've been reading Kim Komando for nearly 15 years now. She provides a lot of useful, actionable advice and tips on using a computer. Very down-to-earth and "un-techie."

8. Blogger.com -- I write every day for various blogs, and Blogger.com is my blogging platform by choice. I chose it way back when because it was free and easy. Admittedly, it's not nearly as popular as WordPress, but I simply cannot figure out how to do the things I want to do with WP, so I stick to the so-called inferior Blogger.com platform. Plus, I like their hosting version better than the limited (at least to me) WP hosted version.

Bottom line: It suits my needs and works -- most of the time! 

9.  I use Twitter.com semi-regularly. Actually, I use Twitterfeed.com to post my blog entries to Twitter.com and supplement my Twit use with silly posts about my kids, knee surgery, and questions to people I follow.

10. I used to use MyBlogLog.com quite often to network, but I've strayed a little bit. I do, however, use it to see how many readers and page views all of my blogs are getting. I need to get back to using the networking capabilities of the site more effectively and more often.


Like what you see here? Subscribe to Monkey Bytes, our free e-zine.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Please leave comments!